UpdatedFriday November 9, 2018 byBAYS.
- What age divisions are available?
- 4U - Tball; BAYS traditionally does NOT have a 4u Division. With enough interest, we would consider creating one and would need at least 12+ kids for a minimum of two teams with 6 each on a team in order to do so.
- 6U - The 6 & Under Division is a mix of coach pitching with Tee Ball; normally a 5 pitch + 1 Tee combination. The Division is open for girls 5 to 6. Four (4) year olds turning 5 within the playing season (Jan 1 - Apr. 30) may "waive" into the 6u Division. The teams in this division play a combination of league games and co-op games with Alvin, Friendswood, and other area teams.
- 8U - The 8 & Under division is a fast paced coach pitch game that transitions to kid pitch late in the season. Approximately 2/3rds through the season, the first inning of each game will be played per the 10U rules.The teams in this division play a combination of league games and co-op games with Alvin, Friendswood, and other area teams. 8U is a fast paced, competitive division.
- 10U - The 10 & Under division is played to ASA rules with a live pitcher.The teams in this division play a combination of league games and co-op games with Alvin, Friendswood, and other area teams. 10U is considered a "next level" developmental division. The transition from 8u coach pitch, requires the 10U division to focus on pitcher/catcher development along with outfielder development
- 12U - The 12 & Under division is played to ASA rules. The teams in this division play a combination of league games and co-op games with Alvin, Friendswood, and other area teams.
- 14U - The 14 & Under division is played to ASA rules. The teams in this division also play a combination of league games and co-op games with Alvin, Friendswood, and other area teams.
- 16U+ - Teams in this Division are established based on # of registratants. We consider offering the option of a summer tournament team for those kids playing high school ball during the Spring. This is traditionally done on a season-by-season basis with guidance and approval by the BAYS Board of Directors
- What type of uniform do we receive?
Spring: 6U will receive jersey, shorts and socks. 8U and up will receive a jersey, pants and socks.
Fall Ball: 6U will receive jersey, shorts and socks. 8U and up will receive a jersey and socks, will wear their black pants from the spring season or any black softball pants.
- When will teams be formed?
- Teams will be formed shortly after registration has closed and player evaluations have taken place for the 8u-14U divisions as may be necessary
- How will I know what team my daughter is on?
- You will be sent an email by the team Manager and/or the Si play registration system once your daughter is assigned to a team.
- Can my daughter play with her friend?
- 6U we will usually be able to accommodate the request. Please specify when signing up. 8U & UP players will be evaluated and enter a draft pool, to ensure team parity. Team managers will then select teams via the draft process established by the Board of Directors and overseen by the appropriate Division Directors. All Player request will be considered while taking team parity into consideration.
- When will practices begin?
- Official practices normally start the week after teams are selected and parents notified. Practice days normally fall between Mon-Fri with some teams electing a Sunday slot, normally the upper divisions. Practices are limited to no more than 3x per week or 2x per week for 6u kiddos. Participation is normally limited to a combination of games and practices not to exceed 4 events/week.
- What times are practices held?
- Weekday practice time slots are, 6:00-7:30pm and 7:30-9:00pm. Weekend practice times are available all day. Practice times are scheduled by your coach. Younger age groups will get early times on the weekdays. 10U may get a mix of early and late times. 12U and up will almost always get late times.
- Where do the teams practice?
- All team practices are likely to be at Bay Area Park unless arrangements are made by your coach to practice elsewhere. Our Division 1 tournament teams practice out of Kipper-Mease, 1x week, in the Spring. A few teams choose to practice at local neighborhood parks.
- How long are practices?
- Practices are generally 90 minutes long. 6U sometimes will shorten practices down to 60 minutes depending on how the team is doing.
- Can I volunteer to manage, coach or be a team parent?
- Yes you can by filling out the volunteer form and submitting it to the appropriate Division Director. All volunteers are required to under go a background check that is reviewed, approved, or denied by USA Softball and the BAYS Board of Directors. Volunteers will not be allowed on the fields until the background check has been submitted and approved.
- Where do the teams play their games?
Spring: BAYS Intra-League games are played out of Bay Area Park (BAYS). Co-op games are played at BAYS, Alvin, Friendswood, League City, or other regional parks in the USA Softball TX 31 DIstrict.
Fall Ball: Fall is a co-op season and most games are traditionally played at either Alvin or Friendswood. We coop with USA Softball TX 31 and TX 27 Districts
- When do the teams play their games?
Spring: 6U - 8U games will play at 6:30pm on any week night. 10U & older Division games may be played at either 6:30pm or 7:45pm. Co-op games for the 10U and up divisions often times are double headers with games times @ 630pm, then 745pm. We also play games on select Saturdays at Bay Area Park.
Fall Ball: There are 5 weekends of doubleheader games (10 total games) which are played every other Saturday. Game times may start early morning to mid afternoon. The season traditionally runs from the 3rd week of September to the first weekend in November. The season closes out with a 2 pool game, 2 bracket elimination game end of season tournament.